Western Adventures 4X4 Driving School

Safety FAQ PDF Print E-mail
Monday, 28 January 2008 02:05

Western Adventures FAQ on SafetyWestern Adventures Logo small

Questions Relating to Safety Issues and Other Concerns


This information is provided to address common questions that people have expressed in the past. (We occasionally have such inquiries about Safety when in the outback in the USA and Mexico).


Your own cell phone may or may not work in many of our remote locations. For Mexico check with your cell phone provider, many will turn on the phone for Mexico at no charge. In Mexico you may get a signal, but your phone may not work with their system. We carry a satellite phone for emergency communications. We also have a Ham radio and FRS radios. If you do not have a CB Radio and need one contact Western Adventures for a loaner radio.

Medical concerns that you may have

  • I am certified as a First Responder
  • I am certified as a Wilderness Responder
  • I am certified as a CPR for the professional Rescuer
  • I am certified AED Essentials
  • I am certified in Blood-borne Pathogens
  • I am certified for Oxygen administration for the professional Rescuer
  • I carry a very complete first-aid kit with me at all times
  • In the past, problems were virtually non-existent. Medical problems which have incurred over all of the years have occurred when outside of the vehicles. I have had two people break a bone in their foot. That happened when they had been hiking and one that tripped over their own tent stake in camp. Only one went to the hospital for X-rays in Mexico. The other one waited until they got home. Both people were very satisfied with the response I provided. This is after thousands of clients from children to seniors in our driving school and adventures.

Safety Consulting

Your custom off-highway driving and equipment seminar! Frenchie La Chance offers a series of un-match and exceptionally informative narrations on off-highway and survival gear. Invite Frenchie to speak at your group's event and give them a edge that could save their life some day.

Mexico Information

All of Mexico is on hold until it gets safer in Mexico.

For Baja California:

No Visa is required for stays in Mexico of less than 72 hours in Baja Norte (Northern Baja) and parts of Sanora. A Visa is required for stays of longer than 72 hours, or for excursions into Baja Sur (Southern Baja - near Guerrego Negro).

For Mainland Mexico:

A Visa is required for the entry into Mexico (except the border towns). A Vehicle Permit is required for adventures into mainland Mexico except for parts of Sonora.

Starting in July of 2008 the U.S. Government requires that you have a passport to enter the US, so you should think about getting a passport. The cost for getting a passport has a sliding scale. The faster you want it the more it will cost. A passport is good for 10 years. For your safety and ease of replacement should you loose it, make a photocopy of your Passport and bring it with you. To acquire Mexican Visas at the present you need to have a passport.

Temporary Vehicle Permits:

Temporary Vehicle Import Permits are good for up to 180 days at this time.

To acquire a Temporary Vehicle Permit, You will need a credit card (Visa or Master Card), Photo copies of, Passport, Vehicle registration and drivers license.

You will have to return with the vehicle and turn in the old “Temporary Vehicle Import Permit” before the government will let you bring in another vehicle. This should be done before it expires. If it expires you still need to turn it in. They may lecture you about not turning in the permit on a timely manner.

Insurance for your vehicle:

For your protection you must have Mexican insurance, if you get into a accident without it you may end up in Jail. You can get this ahead of time at: www.bajabound.com


Money exchange:

There are exchange houses on both sided of the border to get Pesos. The exchange rate moves around every day. For the last 2 years it is between 11 to 12 pesos to a dollar. You can sell the pesos back if you have extra at the end of the adventure. If for example you bought them at 11.6 pesos to the dollar you sell them back at 11.8 pesos to the dollar. You lose a couple of cents per dollar, but you had the pesos if you needed them. Gas stations will take dollars in Baja and border towns in mainland, but at a rate that may run 10 pesos to a dollar. This is not as good of a rate as the banks and money exchanger. Do not carry all of your money in one place! Split it among others in your vehicle. Get a hide a bank from a locksmith. They look like a soda can, “Ajax” container and other common items.


I provide maps of the areas we will travel so you can follow where we are.


Some of the trips we will be eating out some of the meals, and we will cook some ourselves and have a potluck. You are not forced to participate in the eating out or the potluck meals. We understand that some people have special diets. Each adventure the requirements are different for food. Check with us for the meal planning.


Gas is 87 octane for the regular (Magna sin). Some gas stations also have premium at 91 octane, but this is in the larger towns. Just because they have it on the sign does not mean that they have any in the tanks. Diesel fuel is also widely available, but not at every station. There is less of it available in the big towns and replaced with 91 octane. Do NOT brins any extra fuel into Mexico in Fuel Cans. You can enter Mexico with a full fuel tank, just not seporate cans of fuel.

Guns and Ammunition:

Do not bring any into Mexico!!! If you get caught with any guns or ammunition expect to go to jail. This includes even old empty shells!!!

Hospitals and Doctors in Mexico:

Doctor's fees and hospitals are very cheap in Mexico. They do NOT, however, take American insurance policies. You will need to pay for the services when administered. You may then take your receipt to your insurance company in the states for reimbursement. You can also purchase medical insurance when you buy auto insurance.

Problems we have had in Mexico:

Our problems we have encountered while in Mexico involve instances such as the chrome valve caps on the tires will come up missing. (They seem to end up on the kids bikes). We were once questioned by the local police about the group of Unimog’s on a custom trip - some local person thought that we were stealing their Army’s trucks and called the police. They were very polite and thanked us for the inconvenience of the questioning.

We have had our vehicle broken into in Hermosillo, Sonora. This was in town, broad daylight and watched by a security guard. It was a "smash and grab" that cost me $12,800.oo (US). Do to the unstable situation in Mexico we have stopped all adventures into Mexico until things cool down. All of our adventures and corporate training in Mexico have been put “On Hold.”. This decision was made by myself after we lost over $12,800.oo on the last trip into Mexico. Until the danger is reduced to a acceptable level, I will not take clients into Mexico. To offset the loss of 4-wheeling opportunities I Mexico I have turned back to many to the US adventures, from the past.





Last Updated ( Saturday, 25 December 2010 19:58 )
Copyright © 2018 Western Adventures 4X4 Driving School. All Rights Reserved.
Joomla! is Free Software released under the GNU/GPL License.